It's... the Alliterative Headline Game Writing Challenge!

Comments, questions and help about the act of writing itself
Forum rules
This topic is mainly for discussion of the writing process. Non-trivial snippets for review should be posted in Reviews (see policy).
Casual chat should go in Day-to-day News.
WARNING: Posts in this section are visible to everyone on the internet.
Rath Darkblade

It's... the Alliterative Headline Game Writing Challenge!

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 8:37 pm

...or the AHGWC for short! :D

The rules are simple. Basically, you write a newspaper-style headline - it doesn't matter how many words, but the only rule is that it must be alliterative (i.e. all the words have to start with the same letter). Then, based on your headline, you write a newspaper-style story.

How long can your story and headline be? That's up to you. Most newspaper stories are up to 500-600 words long, but you don't have to write that much if you don't want to. Even two-three paragraphs should suffice - it's totally up to you.

Should it be serious or silly? Again, that's up to you. It's possible to be silly while being serious (e.g. all the "straight men" in plays and movies play serious characters that are caught up in outrageous situations). Be as silly or serious as you like, as long as the story is told. :)

Since submissions can be very short (2-3 paragraphs), we can also allow people to make multiple submissions, so don't be afraid - write as many stories as you like! ;)

I'm hoping that the wordplay involved would be a lot of fun, and also encourage new writers to get their feet wet. :) The game could be fast, fun and inclusive - huzzah! *flies the AWF flag high* ;)

So, is anyone interested? I'm sure you are. Just before we get started, though, two questions for you all:

1. Once the game is done, would you all like to vote for your favourite entry (as was done on a previous challenge)? I'm sure it can be done, but I expect that all your entries would be so fantastically clever, I'd be laughing too hard to be able to pick a favourite! ;)

2. Also, once we're done, would anyone like Peter to put the entries up on a web page for all to see (like this)? As always, this will be up to you all. If you agree, great! If not, that's fine too - it's up to you.

Last (and most important), have fun! :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Re: It's... the Alliterative Headline Game Writing Challenge

Postby Peter McLennan » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 8:50 pm

Many thanks to Rath and his co-conspirators for organising this!

I'll be in it.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Kalel Eihctir

Postby Kalel Eihctir » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 9:53 am

I am interested in all kinds of word play. keep me updated

Buslos
Ultra Important Member

Postby Buslos » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:22 am

1a. You have my support

1. Yes

2. Yessir!

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 6:30 pm

Rath: deadline?
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:28 pm

Hmm... as for deadlines, let's see how many people we can get interested in this, so we can get more entries in. The more the merrier! (And the Perrier!) ;)

If I set the deadline now, and we have more people joining us later, it would be unfair to them because they'd have less time. So I'm a little reluctant. Shall we give people a week to join, and then a week (or even two?) to write an article or two (or even three)? That would put the deadline around the 20th or 21st of May, which I believe is quite generous.

What do you think? :)
There is nothing wrong with nepotism, so long as you keep it all in the family. (Winston Churchill)

Feathertale
Extremely Important Member

Postby Feathertale » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:07 am

I think I'll be in ...

1: Yes

2: Yes

:?
Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
- Jim Morrison

Peter McLennan
Site Admin

Postby Peter McLennan » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 8:22 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:What do you think?

Sounds fine to me. Certainly you don't want to make it too soon, because a lot of people are pretty busy.
Peter McLennan
Board Administrator
AmazonSmashwordsWeb Site

Sonja1
Ultra Important Member

Postby Sonja1 » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 1:24 pm

Hello,
sounds like a great idea, when does it start and
When is the deadline?
"If you think you too small to make a difference,
Try to sleep with a Mosquito"
Dalei Lama

Rath Darkblade

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:49 pm

Apologies for disappearing for a few days. I had RL to attend to, including a bastard of an incident in which someone (I don't know who) smashed one of my rear car windows while I was at work. (And if I ever find out who that was... well... GRRR.) :evil: Nothing was stolen, but as you can imagine, I'd been running around like a headless chook trying to get this fixed ASAP!

As for when it starts and deadlines... let's see. Tomorrow is 1st of May (May Day! May Day!), so that seems like a logical start time. The deadline shall be 3 weeks from the start day - so if we start tomorrow, we should be done by May 22.

How does this sound to everyone? :)

Return to “Drafting”